Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Default Small Slab Removal

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

John McGaw wrote in
:

Jay Pique wrote:
I've got to take 12" inches off of a 10' run of concrete slab that's
about 4" thick. I was thinking about using a small rotary hammer to
either drill a bunch of holes and crack it off with a sledge, or use
the hammer only mode with a chisel. Am I going to be asking too much
of the tool? It's a Makita 1" D-Handle Rotary Hammer "Put Bull" model
HR2455 that draws 7amps.

Thanks.

JP

I have one of the Pit-Bull hammers and it is quite capable but it gets
pretty slow in the heavy going. If I were doing what you describe I'd
hit the slab first with the biggest concrete-cutting device I could
find.

First choice would be something like a rental Stihl concrete saw
http://www.stihlusa.com/construction/TS400.html to at least score the
slab deeply if it didn't actually cut all the way through.

Rebar will be a problem.

For a diamond blade?

then you -have- to cut all the way through.
You can't just score and break if there's uncut rebar.

After
scoring, getting a clean break is dead simple. Rental for an afternoon
shouldn't be ruinously expensive.

Yes,do it the easiest way possible.

--
Jim Yanik