Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running out of paint, any way to stretch it?

Jason wrote:
After 2 days of painting my office, this is absolutely driving me
insane!

I had a gallon of paint mixed at Lowes, and figured that a gallon would
be enough to do 3 walls. Well, I didn't think that I would need 3
coats! It's called "Praline Cake," which is a brown/yellow color
(American Traditions, Historic series).

Well, it's all done except for the 3rd coat on the final wall, and a
few minor touch-ups in the corners. I have just enough paint left that
I might be able to fill the roller one more time, but I'm worried that
this won't be enough. What's worse is that if I go back for more, I
have to buy a full gallon ($20+), and there's no guarantee that it will
be a perfect match for the rest of the room.

So... any tips on stretching this last fraction of paint to make it
last for the entire wall?

TIA,

You absolutely can not thin paint and have it hold its color in the
amount you will need. If Lowes mixed it then they should be able to
mix more the same color. Paints are usually sold in Gal- Half-Gal,-
Qts and sometimes Pts. Do a bit of checking. Or don't be cheap and buy
the Gallon.

Jason