Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Very scared and frustrated

According to uz :
I'm literally obsessed by these thoughts and can't think
of anything else.

We've seen this happen to a friend of ours. Vermiculite
insulation...

However much everyone (including your husband ;-) tells you that
asbestos isn't a big deal, and that cleaning the house with HEPA has
eliminated any possible hazard, and that you should just relax,
simply doesn't make the anxiety go away. Does it?

It's because you can't see it, and you're not sure.

I can understand that feeling (fortunately I'm not prone to it).

Here's how you stop that feeling:

Call a lab (look in the yellow papers under Asbestos abatement or
such like), and have them do an air test.

They'll install a couple of small filters in the house that will
collect whatever's in the air for the next couple of months. Then,
they analyze what's on the filter. It'll cost anywhere from
$40-$120.

When they come back to you with a report that says "zero", you'll
feel much better.

If it says anything other than zero, you could get it retested
by _another_ company.

If you end up with a reading _other_ than zero (which I HIGHLY
doubt from your description), call an asbestos _consultant_
(_not_ a removal contractor) and have them review the test
results. That might not cost very much at all (they might
be willing to answer you over the phone based on the test
numbers). And they'll tell you that there's no problem.

That's what our friend did. She's not worried about it any
more.

[She was getting zeros from air tests. The consultant
said "you don't have a problem". But, the first vermiculite
test said "trace" (meaning somewhere between barely detectable
and 2-3%), and that scared her. The second, more accurate,
asbestos test of the vermiculite (done by another company)
showed it was .1%, and we had sealed the few potential
leaks. So, yeah, there were minute quantities of asbestos
in some of their insulation, but it was sealed off, and
air tests showed NONE of it in the air over a period of
many months.].
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est