David Hearn

Default Mortice Locks

"Terry D" wrote in message
Jinx wrote:
Anyway John to answer your first question, The measurement refers to
the depth of the lock.

i.e. the distance from the front edge of the door to the center of the
square bit that the handle fits too.

i should guess that yours is the standard 2 1/2" and you should
beable to replace like 4 like, no chieseling required.

By what looks good quality ( bit that fits in door jam important )
but as others have said ensure you get the BS mark!

Jinx

"John" wrote in message
I need a couple of mortise locks to replace some existing ones (I am
a new owner of a house). Looking in the Screwfix catalogue (page
126) the two options are 2 1/2" and 3", what does this measurement
refer to I presume the height of the 'innards, but how do I know how
big the visible plate is. I do not mind chiselling out for a bigger
one but would like one to at least fill the recess left by the other
ones. If it helps the original ones are Chubb 5 Lever.

TIA

John

I would also recommend mortice bolts to be fitted at the top and bottom

the
back door. Bear in mind though that whatever precautions you take, a
determined thief can be inside your house in less than one minute if he so
chooses. However, with BS3621 locks, you will be able to claim on your
house insurance (and the best of luck if you ever need to). Don't forget
that insurance companies also usually require window locks on all

downstairs
windows and all windows accessible without the use of a ladder.

Incidentally, surely the insurer should notify you of these requirements -
so far I've not read anything like this in my documentation etc. Certainly
never read anything about window locks being required on any windows.