Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Very scared and frustrated

"uz" wrote in message
oups.com...
We remodelled our bathroom (home built in 73) last year in june. There
was linoleum flooring in the bathroom about 24 square feet that was
removed as well as the ductwork that we cut a piece of that contained
asbestos. We didn't know at that time and therefore no precaution was
taken. After a month or so i found out that the the duct work contained
asbestos and the linoleum may also have so i had some professionals
come in and vacuum my house with a HEPA vacuum. I'm now so scared that
the asbestos may still be in my house, on my clothes in my closets, on
our beds etc. I have a two year old in the house and I'm scared to
death. I feel I have jeapordized his health. I'm literally obsessed by
these thoughts and can't think of anything else. My husband is totally
oblivious to this. Even last year when I got the house vacuumed he
thought i was over reacting to the situation. What should I do now? is
my house totally contaminated? I need help!!!!!!

Yes, you do! Make an appointment with a psychologist immediately. The
asbestos is not a big deal, and you are making one out of it.

Now, what to do about the asbestos:

Asbestos is dangerous when inhaled. It gets into the air usually during
construction or demolition, and looks like dust or little slivers of light
floating. Once the dust settles, it just sits there until disturbed.

Hiring a cleaning crew would be the best thing. After they remove any loose
dust, the rest will go away as you wash clothes, dust things, etc. Get a
couple of good air purifiers, as they are just a good thing anyway to remove
dust and pollen.

You had a small bathroom rebuilt. If you had your living, dining, and
family rooms and hallway all worked on, I would be a little more concerned.

You are wise to be careful. But just have it cleaned, go see your shrink
and find out why you reacted so strongly, and don't worry because it's not
really a big deal.

Your behavior is a tipoff. This time it is a little asbestos. Next time it
will be whatever is on Oprah or 48 hours, or whatever.

Be sure, be safe. But you have a much higher chance of an airliner falling
on your house than getting significant asbestos exposure from a house built
in the 70s.

Steve