Posted to alt.home.repair
uz

Default Very scared and frustrated

EXT thanks for yet another reassuring reply. I didn't go to school in
the 50s but i also remember using asbestos sheets over burners for
chemistry experiments in the late 70s in school. I guess I worry more
because of my baby and what I may have put him through but you're right
so many people up until a couple of decades ago were exposed to it
before they decided it was bad for us.

thanks again for the reassuring words.
EXT wrote:
I went to school in the '50s. We were given loose asbestos powder to mix
with water to make modeling material for art class. I can also remember
removing an old gravity hot air furnace from our house and stripping off all
the asbestos paper that the pipes were wrapped in.

I am still alive, 65, with good lungs. Don't worry, if you have cleaned up,
vacuumed and generally kept a clean house there is nothing to worry about.
The floor covering MAY have had asbestos but it would have been sealed in
the vinyl, nothing to escape. The duct may have released some, but your
cleaning would have removed the dust. Don't fret about the baby, we all
lived through much worse before they decided it was bad for you.

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
. ..
DK wrote:
On 15 Jun 2006 09:41:20 -0700, "uz" wrote:

We remodelled our bathroom (home built in 73) last year in june. There
was linoleum flooring in the bathroom about 24 square feet that was
removed as well as the ductwork that we cut a piece of that contained
asbestos. We didn't know at that time and therefore no precaution was
taken. After a month or so i found out that the the duct work contained
asbestos and the linoleum may also have so i had some professionals
come in and vacuum my house with a HEPA vacuum. I'm now so scared that
the asbestos may still be in my house, on my clothes in my closets, on
our beds etc. I have a two year old in the house and I'm scared to
death. I feel I have jeapordized his health. I'm literally obsessed by
these thoughts and can't think of anything else. My husband is totally
oblivious to this. Even last year when I got the house vacuumed he
thought i was over reacting to the situation. What should I do now? is
my house totally contaminated? I need help!!!!!!

I'd cover every surface with new paint, tile or whatever. I'd wash
all clothes and I'd dry clean those that can't be washed. I'd buy a
good hepa filter - about $400.

Then, I'd relax and enjoy what little life I may have left.

Did you go to school in the 1950s? Every school had asbestos pipe
insulation and some even had asbestos in the ceiling tiles. Like radon,
asbestos is one of those scare words that makes otherwise sane people
freak out and do foolish things.

Since we're not dying by the millions from asbestos-related lung diseases,
I suspect the threat from this substance is highly exaggerated. IOW, quit
worrying, be happy.