Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III

Default Wiring a ceiling fan with light

In article om,
wrote:

Here's what i am dealing with. I am trying to install a ceiling fan
with a light. My box has 3 wires(ground excluded). Black, red and
white. Now here is the confusing part. I have two switches. One
controls a ceiling light in a closet and the other one controls the box
where the ceiling fan is going to be installed.

I want to be able to swith the fan and it's light on with only one
switch. I want the other switch to turn on the light in the closet,
like it does now. I've tried almost everthing and I cannot seem to get
this to work. BTW, the fan does have a Blue wire for the light if you
were wondering.

You are making this too hard.

First, forget about the closet. The closet has a switch, a
wire, a fixture, and a light. It works, so don't mess with
it. Put it out of your mind.

Next, the former light where you are putting the fan has a
switch and a wire. That wire has a white, black, and bare
wire.

The fan has 3 wires. Likely a white, a black, and something
of color (red or blue). If you tie the white on the wire to
the white on the fan, then the black on the wire to both the
blue and black on the fan, you should be set. Double check
this wiring with what is in your fan wiring instructions since
these things always vary a little. BTW, connect the bare
ground wire as the instructions indicate.

When you tie the two wires on the fan together, what happens
is that when you flip the single switch on, both the light and
fan will turn on. Note that if you have pull chains on the
fan, you will have to pull then a few times to get them turned
on, and get the fan set for the speed you want. Then never
mess with the pull chains again--use the wall switch.

If you want to operate the fan and light independently, you
cannot do that with only one switch (not unless you leave the
one switch on all the time, and use the pull chains to turn
things on and off). Controlling each independently means two
switches, and running a new wire up to the fan that has 3 wires
plus a ground.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications