Posted to rec.woodworking

Default White haze

GARY wrote:
Hello, Robert,

SNIP

How can I remove only the polyurethane and the polish so the original
lacquer and stain remain?

Thanks,

Gary

You changed the parameters. I agree with Mr. Clark... there is no way
to selectively remove finish in your case. The combination of non
compatible finishes compromised by whatever was in the furniture polish
has you up against it. The original finish was indeed probably lacquer
and your polish didn't react to it since it was forumlated (as are most
furniture products) to be compatible with lacquer.

But when you put your coat of plastic on it (poly) the shining agents
and the stuff they use to make it feel slick and easy to dust were
probably silicones of some kind, and probably some kind of oil. This
is what compromised your finish.

I have never seen Mr. Marlow's advice anything but spot on, and he
certainly has helped me. However... if you want to wet sand off
polyurethane, be my guest. If you do, you will have a really smooth
surface and you won't know when you have cut away all the poly and
polish unless you get some really nice witness lines. That may or may
not happen. And you won't know for sure if you get all the bad stuff
off, which could leave some behind to sabotage your future finish
efforts.

So, for me it would be strip, sand, wash coat conditioner lightly
sanded, stained/toned to match, then seal. And no more furniture
polish. Good finishes dont' need polish. Clean them with a barely
damp rag of a plain duster and quit.

Robert