Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

Default Getting an even stain on curly maple

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:45:50 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

So ... what's the best approach to getting a nice even stain on curly
maple? Is there any particular stain that applies better than the
others? We're open to using pretty much anything as long as it looks
nice and warm. Could be transluscent, solid, or even just a nice toning
of some sort.

Oh man. I can forgive the cherry staining, but curly maple? Now
you're going too far. Cherry's ok I guess, but Maple deserves more
respect than that, you heathen!

Have you considered something like amber or garnet shellac? Nothing
stopping you from putting something else over it if you need to, and
it will bring out the figure better than any kind of stain.

But don't stain it. It will be blotchy, and look like junk.