Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Moisés Nacio

Default Replacement Windows

"Caledonia" wrote in message
Um, yes, wood windows are more work than buying vinyl windows every 5
years or so -- but by the same token, washing my clothes is more work
than just buying new ones every day.

It would be interesting to know, which brands need replaced every 5 yrs or
so.

As a former contractor, now retired, I put thousands of windows in, wood &
vinyl. I only used two vinyl manufacturers, one I mentioned in an earlier
post. The two I used, guaranteed all the vinyl sashes/frames etc for life.
It wasn't empty guaranties, because customers contacted me, even after 25
years. I seen the manufacturers take care of the guaranties.

Of course not all manufacturers use virgin vinyl, or stand behind their
guaranties.

To make a blanket statement about having to replace vinyl windows every 5
years or so, is simply not true.

And with vinyl, you get that weird white trim, which shouts 'bland!'
(How can people stand to have their interior window trim not match
their interior baseboard/chair rail trim? Just too strange...)

Absolutely not true. Vinyl windows, just like any other window, can be
trimmed out according to taste and budget.