Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

Default Double Pole Circuit Breakers

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:34:31 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Tom The Great" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:09:40 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Each pole of a breaker, single, double or triple, provides the amperage
marked on the breaker. Double pole 20 amp gives you 20 amps on each legs
or
20 amps @240 volts
I too, would like the ground wires to be insulated for my own safety

imho:

Ground Wires 'do not' carry current except under ground fault
conditions. In that case, the breaker/fuse will break the circuit
asap(by design).

So it normally carries 0 voltage, 0 current.

You are correct that it normally carries nothing, but why would a breaker
open on a ground fault? (unless it is a gfci...)

If a hot comes in contact with a metal casing, that is grounded, it is
called a ground fault. Following the NEC all grounded equipment
conductors (the ground wire) have to have as lose impedance to
electricy back to the source.

So using ohms law E=IR

E is electrical potencial, or Voltage
I is current
R is resistance.

Solve for I (current) results in I = E/R

substitute numbers for lowest norm voltage. I = 120 / ~0

*Note: Used 0 since a small house has almost 0 ohms back to the panel
on the ground wires.

So calc Current, and you have an almost infinite amount of current, a
short, and the breaker will open on this ground.

A normal breaker should open on any ground fault over thier set
points. Meaning a 15 amp breaker should open on any ground faults
over 15 amps, on over current protection. Ofcourse an almost infinite
current, should trip the breaker on short circuit protection.

hth, (please ignore spelling errors)

tom