Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default extra long curtain rod?

On 12 Jun 2006 11:51:53 -0700, wrote:

We have a very wide living room window and want to get rid of the
horrific vertical blinds that are there now, put in simple sheers, with
a plain curtain rod.

The window is about 9'11" which means with 4" overlap on each side we
need a 10'7" pole.

We went to hour hardware store and saw EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing"
for $8.00. It comes in 10 foot lengths. Drat!

Any sources for longer EMT? What type of store or supplier?

I see
http://www.highlandforge.com/ will make a custom tube for
$11/foot. That's so much more expensive and would be a reasonable
solution except for the price.

Could two lengths be joined together? By what method, and what type of
store would one go to for that?

They have EMT couplers but those are designed for solving the normal
usage need - running electrical cables through 'em - not hanging from a
wall - and are ugly etc.

We could break it into two 5'3.5" lengths and make separate poles, but
that would mean that we'll have an extra wide area in the middle where
no curtains will cover. Assume we'd have one support bracket in the
middle anyway, now we'd need two - one for the ends of each pole, and
that would presumably leave a large gap where no curtain would cover
(and the window is wide, this is not going to be where there's a frame
or anything in the middle).

Any ideas?

Easiest thing would be a 'T' shaped rail mounted continuously,
and using 'C' shaped curtain hooks with rollers.