Posted to alt.home.repair

Default extra long curtain rod?

We have a very wide living room window and want to get rid of the
horrific vertical blinds that are there now, put in simple sheers, with
a plain curtain rod.

The window is about 9'11" which means with 4" overlap on each side we
need a 10'7" pole.

We went to hour hardware store and saw EMT (Electrical Metallic Tubing"
for $8.00. It comes in 10 foot lengths. Drat!

Any sources for longer EMT? What type of store or supplier?

I see http://www.highlandforge.com/ will make a custom tube for
$11/foot. That's so much more expensive and would be a reasonable
solution except for the price.

Could two lengths be joined together? By what method, and what type of
store would one go to for that?

They have EMT couplers but those are designed for solving the normal
usage need - running electrical cables through 'em - not hanging from a
wall - and are ugly etc.

We could break it into two 5'3.5" lengths and make separate poles, but
that would mean that we'll have an extra wide area in the middle where
no curtains will cover. Assume we'd have one support bracket in the
middle anyway, now we'd need two - one for the ends of each pole, and
that would presumably leave a large gap where no curtain would cover
(and the window is wide, this is not going to be where there's a frame
or anything in the middle).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a very wide living room window and want to get rid of the
horrific vertical blinds that are there now, put in simple sheers, with
a plain curtain rod.

The window is about 9'11" which means with 4" overlap on each side we
need a 10'7" pole.

use the 10 footer and add short extension to one or both ends.
Could be as simple as driving a wooden dowel into pipe.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Unless you are making your own sheers they come with a standard 1.5" rod
pocket so the maximum rod size you could make on your own would be using
1/2" emt. If you go that route buy 2 10" ones and put the joint in the
middle with a support directly under it. Most likely you will need a total
of 3 center supports on that width no matter what you use.

Why not just use a standard white curtain rod. Both Kirsch and Graber make
one that goes to 120" and a 24" extender to the middle. MSRP is $14.50 for
the rod (#6136-25) and $3.50 for the extension (#R800) Item numbers are
for Kirsch. By the time you fabricate something and provide proper supports
you are going to spend more than that. Using a wooden dowel as the
connector was an excellent suggestion by another poster.

You might find this rod at Pennys. I doubt that HD or Lowes will stock this
one.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Copper water pipe can be bought up to 20" long in 1/2" and 3/4" I would get
the type L which will flex less but cost more. It can be spray painted any
metallic color you want. It can be filled with cement if you want it to be
stiffer and heavier. Might even be able to get end caps from a standard
curtain rod to fit

First place I look for window stuff is JCpenny.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

lee_houston wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

We have a very wide living room window and want to get rid of the
horrific vertical blinds that are there now, put in simple sheers, with
a plain curtain rod.

The window is about 9'11" which means with 4" overlap on each side we
need a 10'7" pole.

use the 10 footer and add short extension to one or both ends.
Could be as simple as driving a wooden dowel into pipe.

lee h

I just put up two 11' rods - bamboo, wood rings stained to match. Can
use wood dowels joined with double-ended screws, pvc pipe, plain iron
rod. 11' bamboo rod was about $25. Sewing drapes and the darn fabric
is so heavy it is more like major construction ) Bamboo sources might
be limited outside of Florida - got it's own category in the yellow book
here. )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 12 Jun 2006 11:51:53 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Easiest thing would be a 'T' shaped rail mounted continuously,
and using 'C' shaped curtain hooks with rollers.