Posted to alt.home.repair

Default surge protectors

Rob Mills wrote:
"karsan" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is dangerous to have more than one surge protectors in you home I

have 3 surge protectors running in my home.

I had a surge once (caused by nearby lightning strike) while I had 3 five
outlet strips connected together in one room. The surge protectors were
destroyed and the carpet they were sitting on was scorched/burned but
nothing that was connected to them was damaged which included a
computer a police scanner , shortwave radio and a couple of other small
items.
During the same incident in an adjacent room another surge protector
was destroyed along with a VCR but a TV that was connected to the
same protector was spared. RM~

PS, The surge protectors in use had well constructed metal housings. I
suspect we would have had a fire if they were of the plastic type.

I had a similar experience, where my PC and Fax machine, which were
connected to the strip type surge protectors including phone line
protection were undamaged. During the same event my Tivo, which did
not have a surge protector on the phone line, had the telephone/modem
interface blown out. Of course, Tom has told me that this happened
by the surge coming in the AC line, getting through the AC surge
protector, going through the Tivo, and then blowing the modem on the
way out the phone line. I think the rest of us have a pretty good
idea of how it happened.