Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth

Default Halogen lamps ... Low voltage or mains?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ],
Chris ] writes:
When fitting out a new kitchen, with halogen lights under the cupboards
to illuminate the work surfaces, which should be used: low voltage or
mains?

Why might you choose one, rather than the other?

I would choose T4 fluorescent fittings, fitted as far forward
as you can.

I lit my brother's kitchen work tops this way. We repositioned the lights
several times using blue tac and found the best placed lighting was about
1-2 cm from the pelmet (600mm worktops and 300mm units). We also
experimented with aluminium foil on the underside of the units and had we
got the time to find a flat polished surface and fit it before his wife
kicked off about the kitchen not being finished I think we would have also
covered all the underneath of the units in something shiney.

Adam