Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Joshua wrote:
In article ps.com>,
says...

No protector is required to earth coax cable surges. But the most
important component of a protector - earth ground - must connect to
that cable. Connected so that a surge finds earth at the building
entrance instead of via TV tuners.
I've looked rather closely at my coax entrance -- only the outer
conductor is grounded. The center conductor is not. (Shouldn't be too
surprising, if you shorted them both to ground, it would attenuate the
signal a bit, no?)

What, other than a surge protector, stops transients on the center
conductor of cable TV?

Satellite TVs require installation of a lighting arrestor.

On my very old Cable TV install, now since ripped out, there was a
lightning arrestor too.

For under $50, you can purchase lightning arresters that operate on both
shield and center conductor with multi strike capability and replaceable
element. 0-6GHZ bandwidth models are available as well as cheaper
models with lower frequency bandpass.

See
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/coa...protectors.php