Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
M&S

Default Heavy-Duty Post Brackets ??

James wrote:

I am building a woodshed, using 4 X 6 's as the super-structure. I
need a strong method of joining the posts together, and plan to use steel
straps T-shaped brackets, and L-shaped brackets at various places to join
some of the posts.

I am looking for heavy-duty brackets and straps, probably 3/16 of an inch
thick. Widths would be in the three-inch range and the lengths would vary
from 5 to 8 inches or so. Simpson products are not what I wish to use, I
want something that not only is more robust in terms of strength, but also
will have the rustic, heavy-duty "look." Unless they come painted
black, I plan to paint them black, so I guess they will look like wrought
iron.

I can't find anywhere to puchase this type of product. Before posting here,
I have googled "post brackets", "angle brackets" , "construction
brackets" and many other similar descriptions, but I cannot find anywhere
near what I am looking for.

Yes, I know that I can make up drawings and go to a machine shop and have
some stuff made up, but I am sure it would be cheaper and save me some time
if I could find a source for these items.

Do any of you have any ideas of locating a source for what I am looking for
??

Thanks for any suggestions !!!

--James--

Do some searching for "TECO Timber".

http://www.clevelandsteel.com/divisi...nstruction.htm

Be prepared to have your checkbook extremely well prepared. As posted
alreay having these fasteners fabricated locally will likely be far more
cost effective (though still very expensive).

We have built several structures, though larger than a shed, and we have
either fab'd the pieces ourselves or had them fab'd at a local shop.
$30-$50+ per simple connection would not be uncommon. And dont forget
the fasteners that will follow. It would not be uncommon to spend a
couple hundred dollars in lags/rod/nuts/etc. to put these connectors
together.

Perhaps you have a desire to learn metal fabrication as a hobby. A
cutting rig, small welder, and small hyd. brake may cost $1000.00. A
small drill press for $250.00. Add a sheet of 3/16 plate at $300.00 and
you could make the connectors yourself for $1500.00 but you'd have all
the gear to boot!!

Mark