Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Default New Video Sneak Peek

Correction Alun. I tried to send you an email. Your email address is
spoofed, so I can't. If you would please write me, I would be glad to
discuss this with you off the board.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

"Alun" wrote in message
Bill Grumbine wrote:
Alun, I don't understand the coding thing, and I am pretty sure it is
more of a NTSC vs PALS thing than anything else. I am just the pretty
face on the camera, and have little to do with the technical end. ;-) I
can tell you that there are a number of your countrymen who have
purchased and viewed the first one successfully.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with NTSC vs. PAL at all, since most
TV's over here are either capable of displaying an NTSC signal as well as
PAL, or the DVD player can do the conversion.

The region coding thing was originally designed so that the big movie
studios can progressively release their wares across different regions of
the world, i.e. they can release a movie to region 1 (northern america)
before region 2 (europe), because in theory a DVD player bought in Europe
can only play region 2 or region 0 (region free) DVD's.

This isn't probably such a big deal on your side of the pond, since
everything gets released there first, but over here there are people who
like to get their hands on movies as soon as they're released, so most
people to whom that matters get their DVD players unlocked. Sometimes
that's dead easy and can be done purely in software by entering some
"secret code", on others it's more complicated and needs hardware mods.
Those people will already have made their players region free, but many
non technical folks, I guess won't have, so you're possibly restricting
your potential audience for no good reason.

Now, as I said, there's absolutely no reason at all why the guy that does
all your DVD production can't simply make the DVD region free (also known
as region 0), which means that it'll play everywhere ... US, Europe, Asia,
the moon, or wherever. Maybe you could just ask him.

--
Alun Saunders