Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Default New Video Sneak Peek

Greetings all

As some of you know, I have been hard at work on DVD#2, and all that work is
about to be realized, finalized, and all sorts of other -ized. The release
of the final product is still a few weeks away. We have decided to add
closed captioning to the video, so some of you hard of hearing turners (like
me) may appreciate that.

In the meantime, I have received a short clip from the video company
formatted for internet viewing. While the page needs to be prettied up by
SWMBO to make it all look good with the new cover and ordering info, you can
take a look at just under three minutes of actual footage from the new
production. Go to www.wonderfulwood.com/videopreview.wmv to see it.

WARNING: This is not a small clip. It goes about 42 megabytes in size, so
if you are on dialup, I don't think you want to click on the link, unless
you don't have much to do for the next day or so. Being a recent dialup
customer I am aware of these problems, but if you have high speed, you
should be able to download it in a minute or two.

Comments and questions are always welcome, public or private. I will post
again when the video is available to be shipped, probably in about three
weeks.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Brent

Heh - I like the "things I might do" when catching (twords the end of
the preview). I've done *most* of them before.

Looks like a good selection of projects, and I'll be purchasing it when
ready. Keep up the good work.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:48:51 -0400, "Bill Grumbine"
wrote:

Bill Looking forward to your next cd ,

Don Ellensburg,Wa.

Comments and questions are always welcome, public or private. I will post
again when the video is available to be shipped, probably in about three
weeks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:48:51 -0400, "Bill Grumbine" wrote:

Very nice, Bill... I'll buy it for sure...

You look like you've lost a bit of turning muscle???

[...]

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alun

Bill Grumbine wrote:

Comments and questions are always welcome, public or private. I will post
again when the video is available to be shipped, probably in about three
weeks.

I'm considering ordering this, but am just puzzled as to why the DVD is
coded for Region 1, or for that matter any region at all. The whole
region coding thing was devised by the big movie studios so as to be
able control the release of their products in different regions of the
world, which clearly doesn't apply in this case. Anyone can make and
distribute their own region free DVD's, which will play on ANY player,
quite legally. There's the NTSC vs. PAL thing too, but that's usually
less of a problem than hacking your DVD player to be multi-region.

Just wondering ...

--
Alun Saunders (in Ireland!)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Thanks Brent and Don. I will be sure to let you know when it is here.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

"Brent" wrote in message
oups.com...
Heh - I like the "things I might do" when catching (twords the end of
the preview). I've done *most* of them before.

Looks like a good selection of projects, and I'll be purchasing it when
ready. Keep up the good work.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

I would like to say yes Mac. Actually I did lose some of it, but I am very
good at finding it again!

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Alun, I don't understand the coding thing, and I am pretty sure it is more
of a NTSC vs PALS thing than anything else. I am just the pretty face on
the camera, and have little to do with the technical end. ;-) I can tell
you that there are a number of your countrymen who have purchased and viewed
the first one successfully.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

"Alun" wrote in message
Bill Grumbine wrote:

Comments and questions are always welcome, public or private. I will
post again when the video is available to be shipped, probably in about
three weeks.

I'm considering ordering this, but am just puzzled as to why the DVD is
coded for Region 1, or for that matter any region at all. The whole region
coding thing was devised by the big movie studios so as to be able control
the release of their products in different regions of the world, which
clearly doesn't apply in this case. Anyone can make and distribute their
own region free DVD's, which will play on ANY player, quite legally.
There's the NTSC vs. PAL thing too, but that's usually less of a problem
than hacking your DVD player to be multi-region.

Just wondering ...

--
Alun Saunders (in Ireland!)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Thanks Jim. That's the whole premise behind this one, to help you out with
turning them. While they are very similar to regular bowls in some ways, in
others they are very different.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

wrote:

Comments and questions are always welcome, public or private. I will post
again when the video is available to be shipped, probably in about three
weeks.

Bill,
Looks like it will be most informative. I've been thinking avbout some
of those types of bowls for awhile now but wanted to hone my skills
before venturing into it.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Tom, I am not sure what the exact problem is with compatibility, but it is
there. Alun mentioned the Pals vs NTSC thing, and I think that is most of
the issue, but I know very little about the technical issues involved. We
have sold copies to people in about 15 foreign countries, with successful
results. Quite a few of these have been to non-English speaking (as a first
language anyway) people, but that is as far as I can tell you about its
compatibility with non American formats.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
Is it possible to get the video for group2, or for universal showing?

Tom

wrote:

Comments and questions are always welcome, public or private. I will
post
again when the video is available to be shipped, probably in about three
weeks.

Bill,
Looks like it will be most informative. I've been thinking avbout some
of those types of bowls for awhile now but wanted to hone my skills
before venturing into it.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Alun

Bill Grumbine wrote:
Alun, I don't understand the coding thing, and I am pretty sure it is more
of a NTSC vs PALS thing than anything else. I am just the pretty face on
the camera, and have little to do with the technical end. ;-) I can tell
you that there are a number of your countrymen who have purchased and viewed
the first one successfully.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with NTSC vs. PAL at all, since most
TV's over here are either capable of displaying an NTSC signal as well
as PAL, or the DVD player can do the conversion.

The region coding thing was originally designed so that the big movie
studios can progressively release their wares across different regions
of the world, i.e. they can release a movie to region 1 (northern
america) before region 2 (europe), because in theory a DVD player bought
in Europe can only play region 2 or region 0 (region free) DVD's.

This isn't probably such a big deal on your side of the pond, since
everything gets released there first, but over here there are people who
like to get their hands on movies as soon as they're released, so most
people to whom that matters get their DVD players unlocked. Sometimes
that's dead easy and can be done purely in software by entering some
"secret code", on others it's more complicated and needs hardware mods.
Those people will already have made their players region free, but many
non technical folks, I guess won't have, so you're possibly restricting
your potential audience for no good reason.

Now, as I said, there's absolutely no reason at all why the guy that
does all your DVD production can't simply make the DVD region free (also
known as region 0), which means that it'll play everywhere ... US,
Europe, Asia, the moon, or wherever. Maybe you could just ask him.

--
Alun Saunders
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Alun, I sent you an email.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

"Alun" wrote in message
Bill Grumbine wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Correction Alun. I tried to send you an email. Your email address is
spoofed, so I can't. If you would please write me, I would be glad to
discuss this with you off the board.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

"Alun" wrote in message
Bill Grumbine wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:37:02 -0400, "Bill Grumbine" wrote:

Thanks Jim. That's the whole premise behind this one, to help you out with
turning them. While they are very similar to regular bowls in some ways, in
others they are very different.

Nah... they're a piece of cake....
(flexing beat up knuckles and torn nails)

I'm looking forward to the new one, Bill...
Any idea when it will be available?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Grumbine

Mac, it is real close now. I am just waiting for the stamping process to be
finished. We are doing something new, which I don't remember if I
mentioned. The new one is closed captioned. I also have some other news
that I will reveal in a new posting, since I think it is worthy of its own
thread.

--
Bill

Bill Grumbine

www.wonderfulwood.com

wrote:

Thanks Jim. That's the whole premise behind this one, to help you out
with
turning them. While they are very similar to regular bowls in some ways,
in
others they are very different.

Nah... they're a piece of cake....
(flexing beat up knuckles and torn nails)

I'm looking forward to the new one, Bill...
Any idea when it will be available?

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article ,
"Bill Grumbine" wrote:

Tom, I am not sure what the exact problem is with compatibility, but it is
there. Alun mentioned the Pals vs NTSC thing, and I think that is most of
the issue, but I know very little about the technical issues involved. We
have sold copies to people in about 15 foreign countries, with successful
results. Quite a few of these have been to non-English speaking (as a first
language anyway) people, but that is as far as I can tell you about its
compatibility with non American formats.

Bill

DVD's aren't PAL/NTSC, but they might be Region Coded simply ensure
that your's are not Region Coded

As proof, I recently took two British made DVD's (Region 2) and
converted them to no Region, so they could be watched by the on any DVD
player

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:15:06 -0400, "Bill Grumbine" wrote:

Mac, it is real close now. I am just waiting for the stamping process to be
finished. We are doing something new, which I don't remember if I
mentioned. The new one is closed captioned. I also have some other news
that I will reveal in a new posting, since I think it is worthy of its own
thread.

Cool.. I hope to have the whole Grumbine collection and say that I "knew ya
when"...

How many times did you move the tool rest with the lathe running on this one...
*ducking*