Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Default New sealant round bath bringing tiles off

Richard Conway wrote:
Just thought I'd give an update as to the progress with this.

I took the loose tiles off over the weekend and three things became
apparent:

1) The tiles hadn't be well adhered

"Stuck"?

in the first place - the wall was
uneven and although the adhesive was covering the whole wall, it only
touched the back of the tiles at a few points.

2) The plaster behind the tiles just above the bath was wet and crumbly
- probably due to the old sealant being crap. I don't think this
contributed to the problem though because it's only in a couple of
places and did need some poking at to pull it off.

3) The bath is supported by some kind of metal brackets - I found one
when I poked the plaster off the wall - it seems they were put on before
the wall was skimmed.

So, I am relinquishing all blame for this one, and I'm gonna replace the
crumbled plaster with some one coat and re-tile then re-seal. My only
question is, how long should I leave the on coat to dry before tiling?
Would a week be enough or should it be longer?

Just 'till it's dry - that'll depend on how thick it is. You can speed
things up a little by using a fan (not heater) after a day or two.