Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

Default Grass growing

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
If a new construction house is seeded and strawed, how long before I
can predict those bald spots don't have seed? meaning I see bare spots
after 7-10 days, should I put down more seed, or have some patience?

Some weeds were on dirt when seed as put in. Thoughts on removing the
weeds? Do I risk killing the new grass planted close to the weeds?

Does straw disintegrate/ decompose or do I need to rake it? When do I
rake it?

No need to repeat Mr. Meehan's excellent advice. I'll just add that it would
help to know how you're keeping it moist. The instructions on seed bags is
for people who are either unemployed, retired, or taking a week off from
work: "Keep constantly & evenly moist". Water correctly before you leave for
work, and if it's a warm sunny day, that moisture's gone in 2 hours. At the
other extreme, you have to avoid what I call "splotch watering" - using a
stream of water that blasts the seed out of one entire area, resulting in
bare spots.

How are you watering?

I water each portion of lawn once per day. I do one area with a
sprinkler at lunch, then more areas when I come home at 5:00 until
8:00, moving sprinker every 45 minutes. We are also getting some rain
which is helping.