Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

Default creaking floors

On 9 Jun 2006 05:26:22 -0700, wrote:

What would be the best way to fix creaking floors? We moved to this
Condo in a few months ago and already we can hear the floors and stairs
creak.

Thanks for any ideas

J.

I have creaky floors too. Just haven't gotten around to fixing them.
These are the solutions for the different levels of my house.

Kitchen, on first floor, basement unfinished. I plan on having a
stack of shims and carpenters glue. With wifey walking around, find
squeaky areas, and insert glue covered shim. Lightly putting in shim,
so not to bulge floor, and create more squeaks.

Kiddo's Room, second floor, underneath inaccessible. Rug is due to be
replaced. When the rug and padding is pulled up, I plan on add a
whole bunch of screws to secure down the sub floor. My home builders
only used nails.

Other bedrooms, keeping the rugs, underneath inaccessible. I plain on
using break off screws. Like this system:
http://www.oberry-enterprises.com/

Now these are my plans, maybe they help you find yours.

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com