Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw

Default Bricks over concrete patio?

Walter R. wrote:
I have an outdoor patio 11x40. The concrete slab has some 1/32" heat
expansion cracks,
unsightly but not really structural.

To improve the appearance I would like to put a layer of split pavers
(bricks, 1 1/4" thick) on top
of the concrete slab, without gluing them down and without joining the
bricks by mortar or grout. By abutting the bricks it should not matter if
the small
cracks work a little in the future. The split pavers will be enclosed by
walls on all sides. Any tiny voids between the bricks will be filled in with
brushed sand.

I do not have vertical space for standard pavers (thresholds).

Is this feasible? Thank you for any input.

Walter
www.rationality.net

I demolished a patio about 12X15 that was brick over concrete slab
pretty much as you describe except that mine had the perimeter bricks
concreted into place. The patio seemed solid enough but the sanded
joints were always sprouting places for weeds and grasses and that
ruined the look. I salvaged all the thin paver bricks and am still
trying to figure out something useful to do with them.

BTW I had to demolish two patios of similar size on my house because
both of them were very cleverly built so they were (or shifted so that
they) pitched toward the house which made for interesting waterworks
during torrential downpours.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]