Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Default Moisture Content Meter?

Dan:

The meters I was using were an old Delmhorst pin type and an old Wagner,
pinless. I don't have them any more and have no idea of the model
numbers. All these meters were designed to measure 4/4 lumber or maybe
8/4 in a pinch. Sticking a pin an eighth of an inch into a piece of
wood tells you nothing about what is 2 inches down, I think.

The pinless folks are most unclear about how deeply their test
penetrates. I can guess why that is.

When we checked MC for a kiln load, we didn't measure the whole load; we
measured samples. You might be able to do the same with blanks although
the thickness could be a major issue.

I don't see why you couldn't weigh a 200 lb blank. They weigh fish a
lot bigger than that every day.

Bill

Dan Bollinger wrote:
I note that even with my clarification of my request you take the time
to write 3 paragraphs but didn't bother to once report a make or model
even though you'd used quite a few meters.

Just so you know, I ruled out the weigh method since my turning blanks
are often 200 pounds when wet.