Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default What push stick/block for resawing?

On 9 Jun 2006 06:56:43 -0700, "damian penney"
wrote:

What does it matter if you close the kerf while resawing on a bandsaw?
I typically just push through with my fingers then with the last few
inches pull it through the blade from behind. Now it's quite possible
that there is a better way but I haven't encountered any problems with
this and it always feels like a very safe operation. Kerf on a bandsaw
is really thin and if it binds all it will do is push harder against
table. Not like it will pinch and kick it back.

I don't know, it's not a kickback causer as on a TS, yes. But you
might stall the motor, create a lot of heat that would be bad for the
blade and maybe burn the wood. Also if you're flexing the board then
you may be pulling the stock that hasn't been cut yet away from the
fence and not get a straight cut. Or at least that's what seemed to
happen when I tried that. On a longer board I don't think it'd be an
issue, but on the shorter stuff I usually am working with it seems to
be.

-Leuf