Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

Default Grass growing

On 8 Jun 2006 06:07:31 -0700, "jIM" wrote:

If a new construction house is seeded and strawed, how long before I
can predict those bald spots don't have seed? meaning I see bare spots
after 7-10 days, should I put down more seed, or have some patience?

Most grasses will germinate in 10 to 14 days provided there is
adequate moisture. You can add additional seed on bare spots, but
protect these areas with straw. I watered every other day unless
there was rain.

Some weeds were on dirt when seed as put in. Thoughts on removing the
weeds? Do I risk killing the new grass planted close to the weeds?

I wouldn't be too concerned about weeds at this time, although I'd
pull out any crabgrass and certainly keep it from seeding. Wait at
least 6 months to treat weeds, better wait until next spring.
Hand-pulling can be done now.

Does straw disintegrate/ decompose or do I need to rake it? When do I
rake it?

Leave it alone. It will continue to protect the grass, decompose, and
add organic matter to the soil.