Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Default Moisture Content Meter?

Hi Dan, I think Robo's answer was constructive, probably because it's my
opinion too. Anyway constructive or not, it's the the same opinion we
would have given if you had asked our opinions re a good pot metal bowl
gouge. IMHO there aren't any good ones for woodturners.

I'm pleased you have a method that works for you, Arch, and I was looking for
specific information on another method.

However since many turners do find moisture meters useful, it would be
interesting to learn what meter they are using; how & why.

That was my thinking as well. I thought I could tap into the think-tank at
alt.woodturning. I have provided answers to others and had no reason to believe
that I wouldn't be reading about how good this model is, how this company is
good for servicing, stay away from this type, etc. But not one such comment
even after my clarification.

Given your
knowledge and ability, I suspect people's opinions here would really
have had little influence on your choice.

Maybe. But is that a reason to withhold information or change the off-topic?

Which one did you choose? Why?

I bought the Wagner 220. It is an inductive type (not a pin-type). It is
adjustable for wood density and has an extended scale to 30%, which is good,
since it will let me make that important first reading sooner. This model
reads internally to 3/4" which is deeper than a pin model would, another good
feature. Couldn't find one on eBay, so bought it at Amazon.com for $40 off MSRP.
The wood I'm drying are slabs ranging from 3 x 10 x 36 inches to 6 x 20 x 60
inches.

Dan