Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Default Moisture Content Meter?

So, you really didn't want people's opinions on meters -- you wanted some
support for a buying decision you have already made? Well, I'll respond
anyway.

You assume too much. When I didn't get any recommendations here I continued my
online search, read some articles, and THEN selected a model.

I note that even with my clarification of my request you take the time to write
3 paragraphs but didn't bother to once report a make or model even though you'd
used quite a few meters.

Just so you know, I ruled out the weigh method since my turning blanks are often
200 pounds when wet.

I ran a dry kiln for 3 or 4 years. The only reliable test for moisture
content, when drying commercially, is the weigh it, cook it until it stops
losing weight, and do the calcs. I had both pin and pin-less type meter for
"has it been through the kiln or not" testing and also to prove to myself that
meters weren't worth using for anything more accurate than a go/no-go test.
In their defense, I was drying exotics which is a particularly tough test for
these things.

With turning blanks, I weigh and record, and do it over and over until the
blank stops losing weight. The actual MC is not important, what is is when
the blank is at or near EMC.

Bill

Dan Bollinger wrote:
I had hoped for more constructive and useful recommendations on a moisture
meter. Oh, well. I've ordered one so no need to reply to my request for
information.

Dan