Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein

Default Moisture Content Meter?

Dan:

So, you really didn't want people's opinions on meters -- you wanted
some support for a buying decision you have already made? Well, I'll
respond anyway.

I ran a dry kiln for 3 or 4 years. The only reliable test for moisture
content, when drying commercially, is the weigh it, cook it until it
stops losing weight, and do the calcs. I had both pin and pin-less type
meter for "has it been through the kiln or not" testing and also to
prove to myself that meters weren't worth using for anything more
accurate than a go/no-go test. In their defense, I was drying exotics
which is a particularly tough test for these things.

With turning blanks, I weigh and record, and do it over and over until
the blank stops losing weight. The actual MC is not important, what is
is when the blank is at or near EMC.

Bill

Dan Bollinger wrote:
I had hoped for more constructive and useful recommendations on a
moisture meter. Oh, well. I've ordered one so no need to reply to my
request for information.

Dan