Andy Dingley

Default Mortice Locks

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:48:49 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

options are 2 1/2" and 3", what does this measurement refer to I presume
the height of the 'innards,

The 2 1/2" and 3" measurements are the depth of the case (not the
height). These are fairly standard,

"Backset" is the distance from the edge of the door to the axis of
the doorknob. This is more important, if you're doing a refit. You can
adjust most of the heights by chiselling or filling, but you can't do
much about this. It's less standard than you'd like, especially for
deadbolts with no knob.

but how do I know how big the visible plate is.

A catalogue with dimensions:
http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk

Your insurance company will also like
to see at least a five lever mortice lock with a known brand name on it, eg,
Chubb, Yale, Cesa etc.

Your insurance company won't give a damn what type of lock it is, who
made it, or how effective it is. All they ever care about is the magic
sigil "BS 3621" marked on it somewhere.

You _can_ find non-mortice automatic rimlocks to BS3621 (handy for
front doors), so don't be fobbed off by insurance companies insisting
that all BS3621 locks are mortices.