Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default New sealant round bath bringing tiles off

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:04:28 +0100, Richard Conway
wrote:

The gap is quite big and it does vary quite a lot between full and
empty.

Hmmm, maybe worth looking into how well the bath is supported... or
not! Plenty of info in past postings:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/search?group=uk.d-i-y&q=bath+support&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+grou p

It only seems to be two or three tiles though and the gap was
the same all along, so I'm tempted to think that maybe the few coming
off weren't adhered very well.

If the others can be prised off easily then worth doing at the same
time I'd have thought.

Might be better to fill most of the seam with closed cell foam eg from
pipe insulation, then put sealant on top. Also fill the bath 1/2 to
2/3 fill so it takes some movement either way.

Is this good advice in general?

More of a workaround if all else fails, to minimise the force on the
tiles.

I always thought you should really fill
it, or is that just for when tiling?

When tiling it would best be empty, I'd have thought.

Leaving a gap between the tiles and bath that is at least 1/4" and 4x
the amount it moves when filled would be ideal IMHO.

There are special seals that can take a lot of movement and look a bit
ugly too, but it's better to ensure the bath is well supported so they
aren't needed.

cheers,
Pete.