Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y
Greg Hansen

Default WD40 or 3-in-one: which is better

Andrei Semyon wrote:
I am in the UK.

WD-40 and 3-in-one are both distributed by the same UK company.
http://www.wd40.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=16
Presumably (???) the spray 3-in-one is different to WD-40 as they are
part of two different product ranges

I want some spray oil to use as a very light oil.
Not for use as a penetrating oil.
More as a waterproofing oil.
Also as a solvent for the glue on adhesive labels.

Which of these two products would be more suitable for me?

I am sure there are other better products but I want something I can
get relatively easily and these oils plus one or two others like
Castrol or Duckhams can be found everywhere.

Thanks, Andrew

3-in-One? Isn't that the stuff that cleans, lubricates, AND prevents
rust? It's much more versatile than those other oils that, for
instance, lubricate and clean, but don't prevent rust.

Anyway, on the 40th attempt, a fine Water Displacer was created. Might
as well use that. It will remove residue from the stickers on clothing,
too. Don't spray it on the clothing-- put a little on a paper towel and
dab.

I have both. They're cheap.