Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My hot attic - conclusion

Steve Kulpa wrote:
If it makes the heat pump run less - that's a good trade off imho!

also, there is no insulation under the roof, just above the ceiling

steve

Travis Jordan wrote:
Steve Kulpa wrote:.
I have a contractor coming next week to do the work and will report
back the results - hopfully GOOD results. Yesterday the temp reached
112 degrees F in the attic.

For what it is worth the unbiased studies on powered vents all say that
for homes with adequate ceiling insulation the power ventilator will use
more electricity than it will save in reduced cooling costs. OTOH you
can cool the attic somewhat which may have other benefits.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ventilation.htm

I think he has a EXCELLENT plan. Inside attic temp is largely dependent
on outside temp. I was told a properly vented attic shouldnt be more
than 15 degrees above outside temp, that from a home inspector...

keeping the heat pump cooler is certinally a excellent idea