Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default New sealant round bath bringing tiles off

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:31:48 +0100, Richard Conway
wrote:

Hi all,

I replaced the old sealant around our bath over the weekend. I took
advantage of the fact that we were away to fill the bath with water and
do the sealant before leaving, letting it fully set before emptying the
bath on our return.

All went well and looked good until this morning I noticed yesterday
that some of the grout around the bottom two rows of tiles was falling
our and this morning noticed that some of the tiles had become loose.

I can only assume that this has happened because the solid sealant
between the tiles and the bath have pushed up on the tiles when the bath
has been emptied.

Is this my fault - or is it the fault of whoever put the tiles up
(previous owner I assume, who seems to have made a cock-of everything
else!) I am of the opinion that I did my bit properly and that the
tiles were not bonded to the wall very well - but am willing to be put
in my place if that's not the case

How wide/deep is the seam and how much movement when the bath is
empty/full? That will make a lot of difference.

Might be better to fill most of the seam with closed cell foam eg from
pipe insulation, then put sealant on top. Also fill the bath 1/2 to
2/3 fill so it takes some movement either way.

cheers,
Pete.

Finally, what are the chances of me removing the few loose tiles and
refitting them without it looking obvious?

Thanks,
Richard