Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MCB Current Rating for Ring Main

Kev wrote:
Is there anything that says an MCB rating for a ring main has to be 32
amps, could it be 16 amps?
I want to put my kitchen on its own circuit but the MCB's are no longer
made by Crabtree but I have two unused 16 amp MCB's.
If I use the 32 amp that is currently the downstairs ring main for the
kitchen then put the front room/hall on one 16 amp ring and the living
room on another 16 amp ring would I run into problems?

Kevin

it can be 16 if you want. 16A mcbs dont trip at 16.1A, and as long as
you dont have kitchen, immersion or electric heating on them, all
should be fine.

NT