Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

Default self cleaning oven

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
MC wrote:
I would love to replace my current oven that is not working now with
one that has the old style thermostat and no electronics but of
course can not find one anywhere ?

http://www.roperappliances.com/appli...ppliance=10200

I've kept (somewhere if ever could find them!) the mechanical type
thermostats from several older cooking stoves.
Been useful on at least one occasion. A useful modification is to interpose
a suitable relay (one from electric heating can be suitable, but have also
used old 230 volt signalling relays with their heavy contacts 'doubled up'
found in a junk shop for $1 each!). That relieves the thermostat itself of
actually switching the heavy resistive current load of the oven heating
elements. We had one modified like that we used daily in a school cafeteria
for some 10 to 15 years!

So far we've been able to get and use workable older style stoves (prefer to
pay nothing for them if possible) so we have not yet graduated to having to
use one of those cookers with digital display timers that 'do not reset'
after even a minor power glitch. But guess that one of these decades we will
have to resort to that! At that time will have to investigate how to add a
memory maintaining battery?

And/or with the older style clock-timers if they mis-operate by-pass them if
necessary!