Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

Default self cleaning oven

zara wrote:
I heard that the "self cleaning" oven cleans by raising the
temperature to 500 degrees F. Would it be a problem to use this
method on a standard non-self cleaning gas oven? Could it cause any
leaks in the gas hose connectors?

The insulation in a self-cleaning oven is much better than in a
non-self-cleaning oven. And the interior temperature reaches 900 - 1000
degrees F. You won't make much of a dent at 500 degrees F, but you sure
will waste a lot of gas and generate a lot of heat.

Get some EZ Off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

zara wrote:
I heard that the "self cleaning" oven cleans by raising the
temperature to 500 degrees F. Would it be a problem to use this
method on a standard non-self cleaning gas oven? Could it cause any
leaks in the gas hose connectors?

500º will not hurt anything, but it also will not clean anything.
Self-cleaning cycles go a lot hotter than that. They have locks on the
doors that prevent opening the oven at the higher temps because it would be
dangerous. Your oven is not designed for those high a temperature.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ronald'

My recent experience with a self cleaning oven was not good. The result was
that the entire oven electronics failed. The serviceman said that they
cannot take that heat more than a few times. My conclusion is to not use
the feature.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Ronald' wrote:
My recent experience with a self cleaning oven was not good. The
result was that the entire oven electronics failed. The serviceman
said that they cannot take that heat more than a few times. My
conclusion is to not use the feature.

Interesting response from the serviceman. I have had two self-cleaning
ovens and neither in over 20 years of cleaning have had an electronic
failure. I have never heard of this problem and if it were common, I would
think that it would be well known by now.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ronald'" wrote in message
My recent experience with a self cleaning oven was not good. The result
was that the entire oven electronics failed. The serviceman said that
they cannot take that heat more than a few times. My conclusion is to not
use the feature.

Sounds like BS to me. Ours has been cleaned regularly for 20 years now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 06:04:52 -0400, "Ronald'"
wrote:

My recent experience with a self cleaning oven was not good. The result was
that the entire oven electronics failed. The serviceman said that they
cannot take that heat more than a few times. My conclusion is to not use
the feature.

Might be brand/model related. My last one [Magic Chef] went 12 yrs
on the electronics-- the replacement electronics went 6 more.
Corrosion of the burners and floor of the oven is what made me finally
give it up.

The Kenmore only has a couple cleanings on it so maybe it will fail
next time. That's what warrantees and lemon laws are for.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My recent experience with a self cleaning oven was not good. The result was
that the entire oven electronics failed. The serviceman said that they
cannot take that heat more than a few times. My conclusion is to not use
the feature.

Might be brand/model related. My last one [Magic Chef] went 12 yrs
on the electronics-- the replacement electronics went 6 more.
Corrosion of the burners and floor of the oven is what made me finally
give it up.

The Kenmore only has a couple cleanings on it so maybe it will fail
next time. That's what warrantees and lemon laws are for.

Jim

Our self cleaner works GREAT is over 19 years old and never had a
failure.

Of course now it will, since I commented on it

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"MC" wrote in message
I would love to replace my current oven that is not working now with one
that has the old style thermostat and no electronics but of course can not
find one anywhere ?

Some are still made, but hard to find.

Basic
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...at=76&prod=670

Really basic
http://www.lehmans.com/
http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?item...defaultDisplay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ronald'

Its a 7 year old Maytag flattop. I suppose newer is not necessarily better.
The oven cleaning feature had only been used a few times. Based on the
various responses, I think I'll just use it and, if it breaks again, replace
the whole thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Travis Jordan

MC wrote:
I would love to replace my current oven that is not working now with
one that has the old style thermostat and no electronics but of
course can not find one anywhere ?

http://www.roperappliances.com/appli...ppliance=10200

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
MC wrote:
I would love to replace my current oven that is not working now with
one that has the old style thermostat and no electronics but of
course can not find one anywhere ?

http://www.roperappliances.com/appli...ppliance=10200

I've kept (somewhere if ever could find them!) the mechanical type
thermostats from several older cooking stoves.
Been useful on at least one occasion. A useful modification is to interpose
a suitable relay (one from electric heating can be suitable, but have also
used old 230 volt signalling relays with their heavy contacts 'doubled up'
found in a junk shop for $1 each!). That relieves the thermostat itself of
actually switching the heavy resistive current load of the oven heating
elements. We had one modified like that we used daily in a school cafeteria
for some 10 to 15 years!

So far we've been able to get and use workable older style stoves (prefer to
pay nothing for them if possible) so we have not yet graduated to having to
use one of those cookers with digital display timers that 'do not reset'
after even a minor power glitch. But guess that one of these decades we will
have to resort to that! At that time will have to investigate how to add a
memory maintaining battery?

And/or with the older style clock-timers if they mis-operate by-pass them if
necessary!