Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default Steep hillside covered with poision ivy:(

In article . net, Norminn
says...

wrote:
I have a steep hillside covered with poision ivy at my driveway.

I am very allergic to it. Got very sick from steroids after exposure

now its very steep peraps 8 feet high and 30 feet long.

What is up the hill from your property? 8'x30' is covered by poison
ivy? What other plants in the mix? (Trees, shrubs, flowers?)

I was advised to kill everything on that hill, but fear one heavy rain
will wash down mud and clog my driveway drain and pump. besides there
are other plants in that mess, including stuff my mom planted before
she died.

any suggestions? i would love to remove the ivy and leave what remains.
i tried roundup sprayed on the ivy, it wilted a little but came back
stronger than ever

too bad pision ivy makes you itchy its a excellent ground cover

I would be inclined - without seeing the property - to hire someone to
mow or cut it back to the ground. Then go in, or have someone else,
monthly with Roundup to hit the newly sprouting foliage. Persistance
should eliminate it. I definitely would not risk doing it if I was
sensitive to poison ivy, and would not touch anything used on it. The
cut or mowed poison ivy should be removed.

Another option would be to have someone dig up the plants you want to
save, dig out the poison ivy and everything else, add new topsoil and
replace the keepers. If you spot poison ivy growing in again, kill it
before it takes over.

Yeah. If it were me I'd have to hire someone, I'd have him or her rip
everything out. Everything. Then I'd see what I could do to get more sunlight
in the area if I could (might need to take down or cut back some trees), since
PI loves shade. Then I'd set up some kind of rock garden on that hillside.
Depending on the size of the hillside. I would even hire *that* out due to
residuals in the soil.

Then keep brush-b-gone on hand to kill anything that comes back, letting it
grown out to create some leaves first, since it's a translocating herbicide.
With persistance, that does eventually rid the PI.

Banty