Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Curious Ridgid Power Tool Warranty

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

There is a sucker born every few seconds. Some one will buy an extended
warranty.

I might just be a scam of some sore, but I can think of several reasons
for
an extended warranty. One might be a guaranteed 24 hour replacement or
something like that. It would be a big improvement over sending a
defective
tool in and having to wait for repair and return post and could be a
critical option for the professional needing his tools.

Another might be an option to upgrade to a newer model of tool instead of
just repair and return of the old one. How about onsite repair in case of
defect? Very handy for bigger tools. If I thought about it, I'm sure I
could
think of a few more possible reasons for an extended warranty. Don't knock
it unless you know exactly what the extended warranty entails.

Good points however the typical extended warranty literature is quite vague
as what it covers and the salesman will almost always tell you it will even
cover the Earth being hit by Mars. All you gotta do is call this 1-800
number and ....unfortunately you learn then what it really covers, in many
cases. Also most all of these warranties go in to effect after the
original warranty expires. But to reiterate what you said, when the
extended warranty improves upon the original warranty from day one they can
be of benefit. As an example, I bought my son a Dell laptop for college. I
went through the school links to get to the Dell site and added the 4 year
extended warranty that includes faster service and accidental breakage. The
warranty cost about $500 extra but going through the school I ended up with
$600 in discounts plus a $200 rebate. The advantage as you stated was that
when the hard drive failed the computer was up and running in less than 24
hours and we had a more direct phone number to call to get warranty
assistance with out having to wait on hold for more than 3 or 4 minutes.