Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Curious Ridgid Power Tool Warranty

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

There is a sucker born every few seconds. Some one will buy an extended
warranty.

I might just be a scam of some sore, but I can think of several reasons

for
an extended warranty. One might be a guaranteed 24 hour replacement or
something like that. It would be a big improvement over sending a

defective
tool in and having to wait for repair and return post and could be a
critical option for the professional needing his tools.

Another might be an option to upgrade to a newer model of tool instead of
just repair and return of the old one. How about onsite repair in case of
defect? Very handy for bigger tools. If I thought about it, I'm sure I

could
think of a few more possible reasons for an extended warranty. Don't knock
it unless you know exactly what the extended warranty entails.

You just have to pay close attention to what you're getting.

Under many "extended" warranties, should you have a problem while the item
is still under the "manufacturers" warranty, and should you happen to
attempt to invoke the "extended" warranty by accidentally calling the wrong
party, you will be refused and the extended warranty will no longer be valid
for that particular problem.

This happened to me a couple of years ago with a computer monitor that went
out on the 364th day of the manufacturer's warranty, a Friday, and I
inadvertently, not remembering the exact day of purchase, called the wrong
party. They did not get back to me until the next working day, at which
point both invoked the fine print and neither wanted to repair/replace it.

... well, they attempted to, and would have, had they been dealing with a
pussy.

That said, we always purchase extended warranties on appliances put in new
homes because it is often past the manufacturer's warranty when the house is
sold and the appliance put into use. I am beginning to think, that with all
the shoddy goods out there, an extended warranty ain't such a bad idea in
some cases.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06