Posted to alt.home.repair
Rapid

Default Steep hillside covered with poision ivy:(

Oren wrote:
On 4 Jun 2006 13:04:15 -0700, "
wrote:

I have a steep hillside covered with poision ivy at my driveway.

I am very allergic to it. Got very sick from steroids after exposure

now its very steep peraps 8 feet high and 30 feet long.

I was advised to kill everything on that hill, but fear one heavy rain
will wash down mud and clog my driveway drain and pump. besides there
are other plants in that mess, including stuff my mom planted before
she died.

any suggestions? i would love to remove the ivy and leave what remains.
i tried roundup sprayed on the ivy, it wilted a little but came back
stronger than ever

too bad pision ivy makes you itchy its a excellent ground cover

Quoted from This Old House:

Poison ivy contains a sticky, resinlike substance called urushiol, an
oily substance that causes rashes and other health problems. Urushiol
oil is extremely potent; a very small amount is enough to produce a
rash.

Direct contact with the oil is what causes the rash, but you don't
have to touch the plant to be affected. Anything that causes the oil
to become airborne — mowing or using a string trimmer on poison ivy,
for example, or burning the plant — can lead to direct contact.

A systemic herbicide is one way to kill poison ivy. It should be
sprayed on the plants when they're actively growing, which draws the
herbicide through the leaves and distributes it to stems and roots,
which kills the plant. Applications in successive years may be
required.

If application of a herbicide is not possible or not desirable, plants
can be pulled out by the roots, as they were in this case.

Cover any bare skin to make sure it won't come in contact with leaves,
stems, or roots. Urushiol can stay within old stems for a year, so
stay vigilant even if the ivy is dead.

Wear safety goggles, gloves, a long—sleeved shirt, and long pants.
Carefully tape your shirtsleeves to the gloves and your pant legs to
your socks. A hat is advisable as well.

Dispose of all poison ivy debris by stuffing it into plastic garbage
bags. Seal each bag with a twist tie to prevent accidental contact,
then dispose of the bags. Never burn poison ivy debris: the smoke can
be toxic!

When you remove your gloves after the work is complete, rub your hands
with a cream containing a solvent such as mineral spirits. This will
remove any traces of urushiol. Remember that urushiol is an oil, so a
solvent is required to remove it. Check your pharmacy for suitable
products; some may be referred to as poison ivy wash.

To prevent poison ivy from returning to an area, cover the soil with a
deep layer of mulch.

End of quote.

Oren
They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction.
Janet Reno, Attorney General, Friday, February 27, 1998

orange cleaner with pumis is the best stuff I have found to clean your
body with after working with poison ivy. the orange cuts the oil and
the pumis gives you that abrasiveness you NEED so bad when you have
poison ivy. kind of like scratching without scratching.