Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default No felt

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:32:39 +0100, Adrian C wrote
(in article ):

wrote:
Thanks to all on this thread. The roof is not in bad shape, some
re-nailing here and there. This saves fortune on new tiles and felt.

We have a Victorian roof with no felt. The clay tiles occasionally slip,
and I've been able to right those from the inside, so far.

Thinking about getting the roof overhauled using the same tiles, and
then getting
http://www.warmroof.co.uk to bond it all together with
foam, to cut down on further slippages and add some insulation. We can't
have much traditional insulation over the ceiling, the ceiling joists
don't allow much depth and we still want to use the loft space for storage.

So this is our solution, not keen on the expenditure on a new roof,
heavy concrete tiles, problems with the adjoining b****** neighbour etc...

-)

This is an *exceedingly* unwise idea, Adrian.

The foam treatments have a number of negative impacts to a roof structu

- Any leaks or water ingress that occurs through cracked or slipped tiles
etc. or simply blowing in will result in water being trapped in contact with
timbers.

- Ventilation of timbers will be substantially reduced and together with a
supply of water, you will have created the perfect condition for rot to take
place.

- It becomes impossible to inspect the roof structure for problems, further
deterioration etc.

- It also becomes impossible for a surveyor to assess the condition of the
roof and he will mark that in a survey report to potential future purchasers.
- You will significantly reduce the marketability of the property. Have a
chat with a few people with knowledge of the property market and see what
they say.

Personally I would walk away from any property that had had this done,
whether it was well intentioned or not. It creates an unknown situation for
the buyer whereby the only way to be certain of the integrity of the roof
structure is to rip off all the foam. Generally the only way to do that is
to rip off the tiles and battens as well - in other words do the re-roofing
job that should have been done in the first place.