Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Lomax

Default How much should I pay to rent fully equipped shop space?

In article . com,
"A.M. Wood" wrote:

A lot depends on the access rights you would have. For example, 24/7
with the ability to drive a truck up to the door and operate
commercially is one thing. 9-5 monday-friday with street parking is
another. Also have to consider things such as utilities: machines use
lots of power, AC in summer, heat in winter, running water, toilet,
waste removal...

Also depends on your relationship. If you're a single/divorced/widowed
and she is in the same situation, there may be other factors at work
that can be good/bad depending on your wishes. Also, it's not
necessarily wrong for her to be assuming you would be providing some
"handyman" services as part of the deal. (A few odd jobs in exchange
for a fully equipped shop is a damn good deal IMO) The important thing
is to clarify each of your expectations up front. Admittedly, that may
be difficult if there are amorous intentions on either side. But
that's not necessarily a bad thing either.

Good luck!

As I envision and understand it, I will have limited access to the shop
on weekday evenings and weekends. Although she has a driveway, I plan to
park my truck on the street.

I am single and have already volunteered my services as a handyman if
she needs them. She is not single and I doubt that she will need my
services as a handyman.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)