Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Lomax

Default How much should I pay to rent fully equipped shop space?

Hello, Everyone.

Recently, I had the great fortune to meet someone while shopping at a
Home Depot who has a small workshop on her property that has stationary
power tools and is not in use at the moment.

After looking at the space over the weekend, it is on the small side
(about 1000 sq. ft). This shop also comes equipped with a table saw,
drill press, router table, miter saw, and band saw.

During our conversation we did not discuss a rental charge and, frankly,
I got the feeling that I could use the shop for little or nothing.

However, I do not want to rip off this woman and feel as though I should
pay a fair price to use this incredible resource.

My questions for you are the following:

1) If you were the homeowner in this situation, what would you charge
for the use of your shop?

2) If you rent out a similarly equipped shop space, what is your monthly
fee?

Please respond to me directly as well as to this group.

Thanks.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

If it were me, the rent would be on top of you paying the premium on the
hefty liability insurance policy I would have.

"Edward Lomax" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Petrified Woodworker

Sure she is not really looking for a handy man . . .new husband . . . Friend
of mine ended up married to a woman on a deal like that . . .

Steve

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
AL

If I were you, I would write up an all-encompassing waiver of liability,
sign it, and then give it to the nice lady.

In my area, industrial space is around $8.50 per foot per year, not
including tools.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"CW" wrote:

If it were me, the rent would be on top of you paying the premium on the
hefty liability insurance policy I would have.

No doubt, eh?

And even though the OP may not be planning to buy it, check the place
out for liens anyway. There can be a lot of history there... like
previous lessees. Local fire inspectors can be your friends.

Talk to the neighbours before bringing out the cadaver dogs.. *EG*

A little caution never hurts.

------------------------

Posted to rec.woodworking
jd

I charge $25/hour for use of the shop and tools. One person at a time only,
and I'm always with them. This does not include "expendable" items like
sandpaper, rags, or finishing supplies...

--JD

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:34:15 GMT, Edward Lomax wrote:

Ok... I have to ask....

What type of things would you make in this "small" 1,000 sf shop?
Hobby? Commercial work?

A lot of us would love to have 500 sf... *g*

[...]

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf

Petrified Woodworker wrote:
Sure she is not really looking for a handy man . . .new husband . . . Friend
of mine ended up married to a woman on a deal like that . . .

Steve

LOL.. I'll have to suggest that to my sister.. Fill up your basement
with tools and then troll Home Depot for guys.. He's not going to leave
you in the middle of making his cabinet. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B

[...]

Let her set the price. Space usually rents for a dollar a square foot per
month. She might think of a lot better price. Check on regs without
bringing attention to yourself, identifying yourself, or telling people what
you want to do there. Then dance within the lines so that you don't draw
attention to yourself, and have some nosy crabby neighbor shut you down.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
Triflin' One

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:34:15 GMT, Edward Lomax wrote:

Ok... I have to ask....

What type of things would you make in this "small" 1,000 sf shop?
Hobby? Commercial work?

A lot of us would love to have 500 sf... *g*

At present, the plans are to:

a) make a set of bookcases (for a friend)
b) make a platform bed with under-the-bed storage (for me)
c) make a plant stand for my growing container herb garden
--
check out my Yahoo groups:

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

"Edward Lomax" writes:

Recently, I had the great fortune to meet someone while shopping at a
Home Depot who has a small workshop on her property that has stationary
power tools and is not in use at the moment.

After looking at the space over the weekend, it is on the small side
(about 1000 sq. ft). This shop also comes equipped with a table saw,
drill press, router table, miter saw, and band saw.

During our conversation we did not discuss a rental charge and, frankly,
I got the feeling that I could use the shop for little or nothing.

However, I do not want to rip off this woman and feel as though I should
pay a fair price to use this incredible resource.

My questions for you are the following:

1) If you were the homeowner in this situation, what would you charge
for the use of your shop?

Here in SoCal, you don't want to know.

Probably applies to the Bay area also.

Renting work space is one thing, renting an equipped shop is quite
another.

Then there is the matter of a possible relationship between the two of
you.

Sounds nice going in, but could develop either into a great deal for
everybody or a miserable situation for all concerned.

IMHO, risky at best.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Lomax

In article . com,
"A.M. Wood" wrote:

A lot depends on the access rights you would have. For example, 24/7
with the ability to drive a truck up to the door and operate
commercially is one thing. 9-5 monday-friday with street parking is
another. Also have to consider things such as utilities: machines use
lots of power, AC in summer, heat in winter, running water, toilet,
waste removal...

Also depends on your relationship. If you're a single/divorced/widowed
and she is in the same situation, there may be other factors at work
that can be good/bad depending on your wishes. Also, it's not
necessarily wrong for her to be assuming you would be providing some
"handyman" services as part of the deal. (A few odd jobs in exchange
for a fully equipped shop is a damn good deal IMO) The important thing
is to clarify each of your expectations up front. Admittedly, that may
be difficult if there are amorous intentions on either side. But
that's not necessarily a bad thing either.

Good luck!

As I envision and understand it, I will have limited access to the shop
on weekday evenings and weekends. Although she has a driveway, I plan to
park my truck on the street.

I am single and have already volunteered my services as a handyman if
she needs them. She is not single and I doubt that she will need my
services as a handyman.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Lomax

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 05:34:15 GMT, Edward Lomax wrote:

Ok... I have to ask....

What type of things would you make in this "small" 1,000 sf shop?
Hobby? Commercial work?

A lot of us would love to have 500 sf... *g*

I agree and consider this find to be somewhat of a dream come true for
me.

This is strictly a hobby operation designed to get some furniture built
and enable me to gain more experience using "woodworking machinery."

I plan to make a few sets of bookcases and a high-end platform bed (if I
can afford the lumber) for my apartment.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Lomax

In article ,
"AL" wrote:

If I were you, I would write up an all-encompassing waiver of liability,
sign it, and then give it to the nice lady.

In my area, industrial space is around $8.50 per foot per year, not
including tools.

An excellent idea.

Will I need an attorney to draft this waiver of liability?

Thank you for the suggestions.

--
Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking
jack

"jd" wrote in message
. ..
I charge $25/hour for use of the shop and tools. One person at a time only,
and I'm always with them. This does not include "expendable" items like
sandpaper, rags, or finishing supplies...

--JD

Makes me appreciate (even more) my military wood shop on the base here in
Hawai'i... We pay $2.50 an hour and a little bit for speciality tools... a
full Saturday costs less than $20.

Jack

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

If I were you, I would write up an all-encompassing waiver of liability,
sign it, and then give it to the nice lady.

In my area, industrial space is around $8.50 per foot per year, not
including tools.

An excellent idea.

Will I need an attorney to draft this waiver of liability?

Ed Lomax (edlomax at earthlink dot net)

Absolutely! Even then, it may not hold up.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

wrote:

Hello, Everyone.

Recently, I had the great fortune to meet someone while shopping at a
Home Depot who has a small workshop on her property that has stationary
power tools and is not in use at the moment.

After looking at the space over the weekend, it is on the small side
(about 1000 sq. ft). This shop also comes equipped with a table saw,
drill press, router table, miter saw, and band saw.

During our conversation we did not discuss a rental charge and, frankly,
I got the feeling that I could use the shop for little or nothing.

However, I do not want to rip off this woman and feel as though I should
pay a fair price to use this incredible resource.

My questions for you are the following:

1) If you were the homeowner in this situation, what would you charge
for the use of your shop?

Nothing- it'd be too much hassle to have to worry about the liability.
you're lucky you found such a trusting soul! But four years ago or
so, I restored an apartment complex where the landlord was renting
some unequipped shop space out behind the garages, and I believe he
was charging $100 a month in St. Paul, MN. That was basically a shell
with one or two outlets and poor lighting...

2) If you rent out a similarly equipped shop space, what is your monthly
fee?

That would really depend on the renter, don't you think? What will
you be doing there? If you're going to leave sawdust everywhere, pile
wood up next to the building and make a lot of noise every day until
late into the night, you need to make it worth the hassle to them.
Maybe $400-500 a month- or more if you're in a city where space is at
a premium.

OTOH, if you use it once a week for a couple of hours and clean up
after yourself and the place would be vacant and unused otherwise,
$50-100 a month sounds fair enough to me provided you maintain that
equipment properly, and leave it in as good a condition as you found
it.

Be honest with yourself about your habits before you negotiate the
rate, then you can be sure that the space will remain availible!

It is a good resource, you lucky dog- it's taken me years to get mine
to where it is.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 01:02:09 -0500, "Petrified Woodworker"
wrote:

Sure she is not really looking for a handy man . . .new husband . . . Friend
of mine ended up married to a woman on a deal like that . . .

Oh great, my wife's been picking up woodworkers at home depot again.
I thought we were past this...

All I ask is, don't stain any cherry in my shop.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
A.M. Wood

wrote:

Sure she is not really looking for a handy man . . .new husband . . . Friend
of mine ended up married to a woman on a deal like that . . .

Oh great, my wife's been picking up woodworkers at home depot again.
I thought we were past this...

All I ask is, don't stain any cherry in my shop.

-Leuf

Think of all the extra time you'll have while he's whittling away at
SWMBO's to do list.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On 2 Jun 2006 13:45:53 -0700, "A.M. Wood"
wrote:

Think of all the extra time you'll have while he's whittling away at
SWMBO's to do list.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

wrote:

Sure she is not really looking for a handy man . . .new husband . . . Friend
of mine ended up married to a woman on a deal like that . . .

Oh great, my wife's been picking up woodworkers at home depot again.
I thought we were past this...

All I ask is, don't stain any cherry in my shop.

-Leuf

only latex paint on cherry, right?
and just until the glue dries..

(and we met a Lowes... she was slumming)
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

wrote:

Think of all the extra time you'll have while he's whittling away at
SWMBO's to do list.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

-Leuf

I think that we might be confusing woodworking with "working the wood" here,
gentlemen..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke

posted & mailed

Edward Lomax wrote:

In article . com,
"A.M. Wood" wrote:

[...]

Be _very_ careful. Married doesn't mean that she's not dying of horny. I
can't figure out the Al Bundys of the world but there are a surprising
number of them out there.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate