Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Default Plasterboard Fixings

On Sat, 27 May 2006 13:52:13 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Had to replace a kitchen wall unit that had fallen off a plasterboard wall.
No surprise really, only held up by 2 plastic plasterboard fixings & No More
Nails.

I've re hung it using Metal RediDriva fixings which seem good & strong.

What do you reckon are the strongest plasterboard fixings? Those hollow
wall anchors, plastic plugs (if so which) or the metal redidrives?

I also rate the screwfix ones, but they can spin round in the hole and
then it's a bit of a struggle.

Stronger than any plasterboard fitting (but more work) I drill a big hole
(with my biggest downlighter hole saw) then slip a piece of wood through
and stuck it to the back of the plasterboard to spread the load, then
screw through into that. A couple of small screws into the wood and/or
solvent-free gripfill to stick it stop you losing it down the back if you
have to remove the fitting any time. Then glue the circular cutout back
into the hole with solvent-free to finish off.