Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Default Joining MDF?

I have seen these threads on MDF for years on
this group.

The amount of bad information here can be
really incredible at times.

Did not mean to over emphasize.

Since you have some background in it's use,
you can write a short version of how to
use the product in more practical situations.

MDF is a great product if used in a correct and
planned manner. Raw mdf is great for jigs, braces
and many other uses that plywood often gets cut up
for.

It can not be beat for prototypes and patterns.

MDF is also MUCH cheaper to purchase than plywood.

Prometheus wrote:

Sure man, I got it- no need for the excessive emphesis. We use
veneered MDF at work, I just didn't catch it in the original post the
first time through.

In that case, it's pretty simple to countersink and screw it together,
and then make a nice frame to cover the edges and screw holes.

Alternately, it seems to hold together ok with simple miters with or
without biscuts, especially if there is some other internal structure
with better joinery to re-enforce it.