Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default No felt

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

I don't think I have ever lived in a house with felt under either the
slates or the tiles (they are different forms of roof covering), apart
from one with a small extension that I had re-roofed. Real slate is not
much used in modern properties and the usual method of sealing the gaps
used to be torching - mortar infills inside the roof. However, that has
usually fallen off by now, producing some really well-ventilated roof
spaces. My current house, built in 1931, has tiles laid directly onto on
close-fitting wooden boards.

Our (semi) house, built in 1937, has a tiled roof. My father back pointed
the tiles with mortar when it was new, it's still doing good service. We
have no loose or broken tiles, most others round here have - or have been
re-roofed.

Mary