Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default No felt

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have looked at a terraced house and there is no felt under the tiles.
A couple of slates need replacing and others renailing. Does felt
have to be there? Would a building society refuse a mortgage on the
place if no felt under the tiles?

I don't think I have ever lived in a house with felt under either the slates
or the tiles (they are different forms of roof covering), apart from one
with a small extension that I had re-roofed. Real slate is not much used in
modern properties and the usual method of sealing the gaps used to be
torching - mortar infills inside the roof. However, that has usually fallen
off by now, producing some really well-ventilated roof spaces. My current
house, built in 1931, has tiles laid directly onto on close-fitting wooden
boards.

Colin Bignell