Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Banes

Default Help with sticky surfaces

Dan:

A lot of tack cloths are just a hunk of cheesecloth soaked in raw
linseed oil, which takes "forever" to dry (cure if you like). Getting
mineral spirits on the tack cloth diluted the RLO enough to transfer
some to the surface (hence the wet surface you mention).

I'd wipe the surface clean with more mineral spirits, let that dry
(minutes, 1/2 hour?), and I suspect no sticky will be left. If so,
proceed with whatever your planned next step is. You may want to air
out the tack cloth before you use it again - not too much, but a bit
(1/2 hour or so). Or buy a new one.

On 30 May 2006 14:03:06 -0700, "Dan-the-K" wrote:
SNIP
When
I used the tack cloth, it left a wet surface behind.

Is tacky the same as sticky?

Any ideas on what to do? My game plan is to wait. Its still sticky, a
day later.

TIA,

Dan