Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Recharge my home's own A/C

John Gilmer wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a manifold set and 30lb can of R-22 refrigerant and need to top
off my home AC system that seems to need a recharge every 3-4 years.
Is there a do-it-yourself guide that shows how to locate the low
pressure recharge point and steps a repair person through it?

While I go along with the posters who say: 1) FIX the leak first; and 2)
hire a professional.

If you want to try, you will often find instructions inside the unit on how
to charge it. In addition to the gauges, you will need a fairly accurate
thermometer. You will also have to educate yourself on the meanings of the
technical terms: "Super Heat" and "Super Cooling."

If you play nice there is a very slight chance that the "pros" on alt.hvac
will give you WAGS on "typical values" but be prepared for some very nasty
replies if you venture there.

Don't waste your time on alt.hvac, it's just a social club for paranoid
union type coil cleaners to try and boost their egos by attacking anyone
who dares venture into what they think is "their" turf. If anything it
may convince you to avoid all the "pros" including the few who are
actually competent and professional (hint - the competent and
professional ones don't do residential work).

Pete C.